pet health


Question by  Brian67 (39)

What can I do about bacterial skin infections in my bichon?


Answer by  traumatised (3285)

Take your dog to a qualified vet. Home remedies are not a substitute for a trained professional who can make a proper diagnosis based on ALL the symptoms using proper equipment. You are not able to do this at home. If you aren't willing to take your dog to a vet you shouldn't be a pet owner.


Answer by  eiryck (847)

Veterinary help is the first thing that needs to be done when your bichon has skin infections for proper medical diagnosis and recommendations. After such medication process, prevention maintenance should be a part of the caring program like proper diet and nutrition to boost the immune system of the bichon.


Answer by  Jo3355 (575)

Normally, a vet will prescribe antibiotics for a bacterial skin infection and then check in a couple weeks to be sure the infection is cleared up. Then you have to determine if the infection is caused by allergies - if this is true,then the allergies have to be treated also.


Answer by  bunkerhill (825)

Try washing him or her with baby shampoo or even head and shoulders. If you can afford it, have your dog professionally bathed and trim the hair very short to make sure there are no open sores. Some bacterial infections just won't clear up without help from a vet, and some may be permanent.


Answer by  BlueCatMandoo (66)

Have your vet verify it is bacterial. He will probably prescribe an antibiotic specific for skin infections, such as cephalexin, and a steroid, such as prednisone.


Answer by  aussiegirl (711)

speak to you vet about medication, or if this is not an option you can give her oatmeal baths for the irritation or try a medicated shampoo.


Answer by  Roland27 (16334)

Take your dog to his Vet. The Vet will give you an ointment to put on his skin in order to cause this infection to go away. Leave it untreated can cause the infection to spread and it will probably start to cause him to lose some of his hair.


Answer by  nicholas34 (606)

go to the vet first but there just going to send you to petco to buy some cream so cut out the middle man and go to petco, tell the specialists there about your problem and i garantee they will know wat to do


Answer by  JSmith0330 (616)

This is something you might want to call your vet about and see what they want you to do they may want to start it on some antibiotics.

You have 50 words left!