Question by  Grace (128)

What should I tell my son when his dad is in contempt for not exercising visitation?


Answer by  vampora (35)

Your son should know that it isn't HIS fault his father is not exercising his rights. Make an effort to open the lines of communication with your ex, see if he could get into the habit of regular phone calls even if he doesn't visit. Any contact will help your son understand that he's done nothing wrong.


Answer by  TheAnswerFairy (2345)

If he's young, tell him his daddy loves him and wishes he could visit. If he's older, you can explain that not everyone has their lives in order.


Answer by  olive8 (911)

It depends. If your son is blaming himself, and if he is at least a teenager, then yes perhaps tell him. However, if he is young, or if there is any other alternative, then by all means preserve your son's perception of his dad. His dad may come around.


Answer by  gman9976 (248)

You don't want to hurt your child so you have to come up with something good like Dad's job has taken him away for a while and will not be able to come see you.

You have 50 words left!