guinea pigs


Question by  mandey5511 (102)

What should I do if my guinea pig has chelitis?


Answer by  Mumma (483)

Take your guinea pig to a specially-trained exotics vet. Chelitis is very painful and should be treated promptly with a prescription topical ointment (do not do this yourself). You will also likely have to make changes to your pig's diet in the future (i. e. add more vitamin C) to stop it from recurring.


Answer by  traumatised (3285)

Go to an exotics vet (one who has experience with rodents, not an ordinary cat/dog vet), ASAP. It should not be treated at home; the vet can prescribe an appropriate topical ointment. CHelitis has been linked to diet - you might have to modify it (feed better quality hay and ensure adequate vitamin B and C intake).


Answer by  killermike (176)

As with any animal in any health situation, you should immediately consult with your veterinarian so that you along with your pet's healthcare provider can make an intelligent and informed choice about the best course of treatment for your friend. If you are not a professional it is unwise to try and treat or diagnose any illness yourself.

You have 50 words left!