Question by  Roshpico (90)

What do I do if I believe someone has broken OCGA 30-5-1?

This is the law that protects the elderly and disabled adults.


Answer by  mammakat (11147)

If you are in fear of immediate abuse or danger you need to call your police or sheriff, or Department of Human Services, IMMEDIATELY. Legalities can wait, your primary concern is the safety of the individual with whom you are concerned. Following that DHS can guide you on how to proceed to insure the well being of the elder.


Answer by  GilFinn (2065)

You should contact your County Adult Protective Services office and report the offenders. If unable to locate that office, contact your local Police and they will direct you to the appropriate authorities. In no case should you keep this to yourself as you could be held partly responsible if you know of a crime and don't report it.


Answer by  lovemypitbulls (146)

Contact your local social service agency, explain to them the situation. You might need to provide proof before they can conduct an investigation so be prepared for that. Also get the elderly person to write a statement (if possible) to give to the case worker for further review. A case will be opened & hopefully charges will be filed.


Answer by  patti (29325)

Report your findings to the authorities. OCGA 30-5-1 is a federal law. The authorities will make sure your report is investigated through proper channels.

You have 50 words left!