Question by  derkderk69 (1)

My mother was hit by someone who ran a red light while she was pregnant with me. Now I'm stuck spending the rest of my life with a disfigured chest that causes much embarrassment for me. Am I entitled to a settlement?


Answer by  tamarawilhite (17883)

You are only entitled IF: 1. your mother did not already receive a settlement for the accident and 2. the person is still alive to be sued.


Answer by  NGoodson (3395)

The statute of limitations has probably run out since it happened before you were born. It depends on the laws in your state. Consult an attorney.


Answer by  Ron27 (465)

This seems like it could be a very complex case and you should certainly contact a lawyer. Is there conclusive evidence that this collision caused your disfigurement? How much are your damages worth? Did the other driver have insurance? How long has it been since the accident? You may be out of luck due to a statute of limitations.


Answer by  palaeologus (564)

If your mother made a claim on your behalf during your minority, you are likely legally barred. If not, but you have waited too long after becoming an adult to make your own claim, your state's tort statute of limitations probably bars your claim. Your chances are pretty slim.


Answer by  catch2007 (212)

In most states, there is a time period in which a lawsuit may be filed. These often vary by state. If this time period has passed, you may longer file a lawsuit seeking compensation for any injuries sustained in the accident. Consult with a personal injury lawyer in your state regarding your options.

You have 50 words left!