Question by  ng15 (115)

I moved new dryer (4-prong plug) to an old house with a 3-prong receptacle. Is there an "adapter" or must I re-wire either the dryer plug or the house?


Answer by  fiddlefaddle (883)

There are adapters to convert 4 prong plugs to 3 prong plugs. Check your local hardware store or check an online retailer.


Answer by  MrHardware (369)

There is no adapter. You must either replace the dryer cord commonly called a pigtail replace the outlet. The best choice is to have electrician replace the outlet. The three wire system has to positive or "hot" wires and the neutral and the ground share the same wire. The 4 wire system separates the ground and neutral wires.


Answer by  lwetzel2003 (37)

There is no common addapter available. You can rewire the house or replace the cord on the dryer. Replacing the cord is the simplest. Purches a new 3-prong cord from your local hardware store. Remove the old cord and replace it with the new one with the wires in the same order except the extra ground.


Answer by  Randy76 (95)

They do make an adapter but I do NOT recomment using it, simply because it is just as cost efficient and easy to replace the dryer plug. You can find them at just about any hardware store and it is very simple to replace. But to answer your question, Yes there is an adaptor for that.

You have 50 words left!